The educational mission of the GLA Academy is to expand the heart, mind and character of each individual by providing successive academic and personal challenges in a spiritual environment of support and encouragement. In each student we seek to develop a respect for, and responsibility to, self, peers, community and the world. We are committed to fostaering in each student a genuine and lasting love of learning. The GLA Academy is a community of students, teachers and parents united for academic excellence via a personal approach to educationg and developing the whole child.
GLA Academy was established in 1995 with the goal of offering loving care and a cost-effective private education to all children in the greater Baltimore area. We have incorporated Baltimore County School’s curriculum to meet the requirements for core academic subjects along with Christian Concepts and biblical teaching. The end product of this dynamic combination is a student-centered, results-based learning environment. This makes school enjoyable and allows the student to move at his/her own pace.GLA Academy was established in 1995 with the goal of offering loving care and a cost-effective private education to all children in the greater Baltimore area. We have incorporated Baltimore County School’s curriculum to meet the requirements for core academic subjects along with Christian Concepts and biblical teaching. The end product of this dynamic combination is a student-centered, results-based learning environment. This makes school enjoyable and allows the student to move at his/her own pace.
This Educational System is a scientifically-based system that has a proven track record proven effective on general education students. Our system is different from most public and private schools. Some public and some private schools are often plagued by low test scores. The news is full of proof. Conversely, the reason many of the well-known private schools have great test scores is because they will not accept students who have not proven they can perform and they weed out students who cannot continually meet their standards! High Reach Learning is our curriculum for pre-school & kindergarten. High Reach Learning’s ultimate goal is for children to become eager learners who are prepared not only for kindergarten, but for long-term school success. With High Reach Learning, a fun, exciting, and rich learning environment awaits your child.
Many of you have already had this experience! We are a cost-effective private school that accepts practically all students, yet our test scores have shown phenomenal growth.
GLA Academy offers a wide array of programs to our students and their families. GLA Transportation Service can pick students up from home, take them to school and drop them back at home lightening our working parents’ busy schedules. Then we incorporated quality Before and After School programs, Educational Summer Fun camps, community awareness, ROTC training, Mentoring and Abstinence programs, Tutoring. and Computer training.
GLA Academy provides employment for hundreds of teenagers through Baltimore City Youth Works. GLA Academy “School of Excellence” operates legally as a “Church Exempt School”, registered with the Maryland State Department of Education (#09-03-9167).
God’s Little Angels Philosophy
God’ Little Angels Academy will share decision-making and provide an environment, where everyone is encouraged to participate and contribute.
Our educators and staff will:
- Encourage communication with families about their child’s learning and development, participating in shared decision making and contributing ideas about how we can collaboratively advance children’s learning at GLA,home and in the community;
- Provide a warm and inclusive environment that promotes diversity and complements the child’s home life, and where all families have the opportunity to contribute to their child’s learning and development;
- Work in partnership with families and the community to provide professional, high quality early learning and care for young children;
- Engage in open and warm interactions with children and families to build trusting and effective relationships, respecting confidentiality at all times to ensure the interests, abilities and culture of every child and their family are understood, valued and respected.
- Work collaboratively to develop meaningful interactions with children to encourage learning and development through an emergent play based program;
- Maintain a commitment to our core values and the role the team plays in creating and nurturing a caring and loving environment;
- Provide a team environment where educators and staff are made to feel valued and respected and are supported to share ideas and learn from each other, to be successful in supporting children’s learning and development.
- Provide a curriculum tailored to each child’s strengths, needs and interests to enrich their learning journey;
- Children’s culture, home language(s), and culturally proficient environment for children and their families.
We commit to high expectations for every child. We acknowledge Recognize that every child should have opportunity to experience success in their learning and development through acknowledgement of their uniqueness as individuals and acceptance of their capacity to learn in their own time.
God’s Little Angels Curriculum Statement
God’s Little Angels Academy’s school curriculums are a combination of Baltimore City Public Schools common core curriculum K1 & K4 “Little Treasures” by MacMillian/McGraw-Hill and K2 to 5th grade “Reading Street” by Scott Foresman published by Pearson. GLA was awarded a grant from MSDE in 2012 to provide this curriculum to our students. We also offer a Bible base religious teaching from the A Beka Book program; infants through 5th grade. Our school is exceptionally successful in developing young minds for the future.
We believe that children learn when we provide them developmentally appropriate opportunities to learn. Our chosen curriculum, provides children with opportunities to learn and practice newly acquired skills where children feel safe and valued. The curriculum also offers challenges just beyond the level of their present mastery.
Children learn by doing and we encourage hands-on experiences.
This curriculum is developed around four areas of development and ten areas of interest. The four major areas of development are:
Our teachers have been trained to recognize where a child is developmentally and where he/she should be. We are then able to plan the curriculum around this knowledge of the child. Our curriculum is based not only on general knowledge of child development and research but also on the knowledge a teacher gains from the relationship she forms with the parent and the child. We are allowed to create group learning as well as individual learning.